Thursday, September 25, 2008

Probably the best dinner I've had at home, el botellón, and Asturias

Another Thursday, another botellón with our favorite Spanish friends. As always, it starts out a bit awkward, then as we liquor ourselves up, the conversation and jokes start flowing. T'was a good night, as always. Unfortunately this time I had to come home to get dinner and didn't get to stay out with mis amigos. I did spend a good three hours with them though. Tonight's theme drink: calimocho, which I realize will be the drink for the rest of these botellones. 

It's fun getting to know the Spanish. Fran has never been to Barcelona and wants to go with us when we do. Said he wishes he could go with us to Asturias this weekend. <-- Brings me to my next topic: I, and the rest of mis compañeros de CIEE are going to Asturias and Cantabria this weekend. For those unaware, Asturias and Cantabria are on the norther Atlantic coast of Spain. It's supposed to be cold, rain, and green. Basically, my ideal vacation spot. I'm sick of this cold at night and morning but scorching in the sun during the day Alcalá climate. I'm so excited to finally be covered in sweaters and sweatshirts and jackets and scarves and stuck in the rain all day. It'll remind me in the very least a bit of Wisconsin and the beautiful autumn that I'm sure you are all enjoying right now. Since I'll be in Asturias this weekend though I'll be incomunicado all weekend unless I steal a friend's laptop and internet or else go to an internet café (unlikely). So, you'll all be updated on Monday night with a nice long blog post and plenty of photos, so don't worry. Until then, I'll be off having a great weekend, so don't worry about me.

One last bit of news. Perhaps it was the calimocho from the botellón but tonight's dinner was probably the best one I've had so far at home in Spain. It was simple. First: no soup. White (olive oil) rice with a fried egg (which I placed on top of the rice). Even better, I had good (read: not styrofoam) bread. Even better still, spicy chorizo and, get this, Havarti cheese. I went to Carrefour earlier today to get meat and cheese for my bocadillo for the trip. I picked up jamón serrano and Havarti slices. I made the boca at dinner and ate the leftovers. It was delicious. So let's recap: white rice, fried eggs, good bread, spicy chorizo, Havarti, and jamón serrano. Definitely the best dinner I've had at host family's house since I've arrived. 

No comments: