Saturday, September 6, 2008

Epicurean Diaries Vol. 1

As mentioned before I had almendras de Alcalá today and I really need to start remembering to take photos of all my food. How touristy, I know. It's important though for me.

Mahou

Very, very, very, very shitty lighter beer made in Spain. It's like a poor man's Beast Ice or something. Horrible. Never drink it. To give you an idea of the quality, they sell pints of it at McDonald's for 1.20€. Yeah.

Mahou Negra

So I was at El Perro Verde last night asking for a dark beer "como Guiness. Un stout" (which is actually the word in Spanish for stout) and he said Mahou Dark and then mumbled some other stuff I didn't understand so I went with this beer. Came in a fancy dark bottle with black tin foil on it like the Ola Dubh we had at work did. Once I poured it (came with a special glass unlike the regular Mahou) I held it up to the light. It looked pretty dark. Wasn't very thick though nor too bitter like the dark beer I prefer. I didn't mind the taste at first (wasn't what I was looking for) but as it got warmer and I drank more the worse it got. By the last few drops I couldn't stand it anymore. Felt very bloated the rest of the night and didn't drink any more.

Vino Dulce

Not sure exactly what it was called but today at lunch I asked the waiter for vino oporto (Port wine) and they didn't have anything but he recommended a wine "muy dulce" (very sweet) so I ordered it. It had a very similar taste to Port. As Monica suggested it tasted like grapes, very sweet indeed. Dry as well. Towards the end though I started to get a bit tired of it. And tired physically (though I was tired earlier, so the wine only helped).

More on the foods and wines later, hopefully with pictures.

No comments: