Thursday, October 30, 2008

Los han acabado

Yay, midterms are done and done. Finished my last (and hardest and longest) one today. I'm not worrying too much at this point, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with them. Two papers done too. And finished tutoring (and was payed) for the week. Fifty euros in the pocket and a three day weekend...


And so as the heat goes so does my uneasiness and fatigue of Spain. I always hear people complaining about seasonal affective disorder in winter, how it's always so cold, you're always inside, and it's always so dark. Pfft, I say. I have seasonal affective disorder in the summer months. It's finally cold here, for more than just the morning or night. The past two days have been cold, rainy, windy, nearly storming. And I've loved every minute of it. 

There's this energy in the cold wind blowing that flows all throughout my body. I become enlivened. I'm out walking about town in sweaters and scarves and sipping coffee and huddling up in cafés (ok, Starbucks...), listening to music that just fits so well with this environment. The streets are nearly empty, they fear the cold here. Brown leaves on the ground, blowing across the streets and sidewalks, across the plazas. No colored leaves though, they're all still green, which is very disappointing. 

I'm getting more content the colder it gets out here. Apparently it's not usually this cold this fast, nor this rainy. Perhaps Spain knew I was coming and is trying to make me feel more at home. It's already snowing up in northern Spain. Maybe we'll get some 'round Alcalá.

No comments: